Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Poetry reaction #1: If I Had Known by Mary Carolyn Davies

 
Mary Carolyn Davies was an American poet, playwright, songwriter, and editor. She wrote her poem If I Had Known around 1920s-30s. Sadly not much is known about Davies, there isn't even records of her death after she moved to New York in 1930s at about 40 years old. I can tell though that Davies was a very kind hearted person and she cared about the people that she was close to, from what her poem is about. The poem makes me believe that she lost someone that was close to her, to suicide. Although we can not assume that she is the narrator I believe the only way anyone would be able to write a poem with such a powerful message is if they have gone through it themselves.
The narrator of the poem shows how much he or she wished they had acknowledged that a friend was feeling down, he/she wanted to be able to help. “If I had known what thoughts despairing drew you;” The friend probably took their own life because they didn't see any other way out, or anyone to help them, like most cases of suicide. The narrator is regretting not seeing the signs that showed of depression from their friend.  He or she continues to repeat “If I had known”, to show the reader that they truly would've helped the person in need. The speaker feels remorseful that he/she wasn’t able to show the friend kindness and be gentle with them.  The narrator would have tried to bring “more warmth into this place” If they had only known.
A crucial moment in the poem is when the speaker asks “(Why do we never try to understand?)” This is directed towards us but he/she is also asking themselves this. I could imagine that the speaker is mad at society and himself/herself for not trying to help more people with depression. If so many people take their lives maybe there is something wrong with society, and not them? The human race is so full of themselves, they only cares about themselves. They are so concerned with themselves and their own problems that they don't see people suffering around them. We should live in a better world where it’s comfortable for everyone, and “your stay more pleasant in the land.”
This poem is important because of the ideas about trying to help people in need of help with depression. We’ve all gone through depression at some point in our lives, we thought everything was too hard and that no one was there to help, or that it won't get better. That's why this poem really struck me. Especially this time of the year, when I’m still trying to get used to my classes, and I don't see how anything is going to get  any better. I have to worry about so many things and stress piles on and sometimes I feel like the only way to stop it is if I wasn’t on the planet anymore. Then I realize how much I actually have, like my friends and family, and I remember that I wouldn't be able to leave them. As soon as all this college stress is over I’ll be able to relax a little(at least until AP tests.)




3 comments:

  1. Samantha, I think you did a great job really focusing your read and reaction of this poem. It is a very emotional poem and I love how you made direct textual evidence within your reaction. The rhyme scheme also really makes for a please read aloud to add to the feeling of the poem.

    I think the paragraph that you talk about the crucial moment is really astute. I enjoyed reading your impressions of this poem, you were able to really address your understanding of the meaning of the poem.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your interpretation of Davies’s poem. I liked how you took textual evidence and put it in your own words and then explain how you felt. Especially in paragraph two and then how you made the connection to yourself in the conclusion.

    Overall, everyone needs someone to listen and someone to talk to. In this case, the character took his/her life away and the narrator is trying to understand after the most unfortunate event already happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I originally read this poem when I was in 5th grade I was so glad to find it again it is stuck with me my whole life and I think it's very important that more people should read it

    ReplyDelete